Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Getting Into E-Reading... and Listening

I have had my Kobo e-reader for over a year now, but I haven't done much e-reading on it. Something in me balks at the idea of paying to download a book which will only be read by one person - me. (And which will disappear if my e-reader breaks down.)

I also often share books with friends. I don't think this is possible with a book on my Kobo unless I lend the Kobo itself. If I'm wrong, I'd be interested in hearing how eBooks can be shared.

Recently I decided to explore the public library's selection of eBooks. I was looking for a copy of Mindless Eating, but I was only able to find a downloadable audio book.

I first had to download an app to access the library's selection of digital reading. I eventually managed to do that and downloaded Mindless Eating, a very humorous and informative read.

I've been listening to it while knitting and doing housework. It's nice to be read to, but occasionally when "three points" are mentioned, I'd like to look back and remind myself of what the three points were. I'm a visual learner.






I enjoyed my first audio book, which will be automatically "returned" on the due date, without my having to do anything. That works for me, as I often end up paying overdue fees for regular books I forget to return on time.



In fact, I've already downloaded my next audio book from the library. (Small Victories by Anne Lamott.)

I'm looking forward to reading a library eBook as well, once a title I want becomes available. In the meantime, I have one on hold.

It's pretty amazing, borrowing and returning books (on time!) - without setting foot in the library! All from the comfort of home.


No comments:

Post a Comment