Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Barbie: "Alive and Well" - and "Enjoying Life"!

My "doll phase" of life did not include Barbies (which came on the market after I had lost interest in dolls.) My favorites were "walking dolls" with legs that moved and eyes that shut when lying down.

In fact, compared to my favorite dolls, seen here, I couldn't understand the popularity of this "teenage doll" sensation.
















But Barbie was not a passing fad. Several decades later, Barbie dolls were still going strong and my daughter became a fan. Among other dolls and stuffed animals she loved (which are still in our basement), Barbie ranked high.














For years, a new Barbie or Barbie accessory was all she ever wanted as a birthday or Christmas gift.

(And - sentimental as I am - I still have a box full of her Barbie stuff in the basement!)







Barbie (the doll) is still on the market, but sales have apparently declined... She is, however, making a comeback on Instagram - a website where friends can share photos. She still has a lot of "friends": Less than a year after debuting on Instagram, she has 740,000 followers!







According to the fashion blog, Racked, her followers are young women who had Barbies when they were young, and apparently still love fashion, since the Instagram photos posted show Barbie in different outfits traveling the world, having fun - and making a fashion statement, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment