Saturday, April 25, 2015

Gardening = Game of Strategy (With Squirrels!)

Over time, my perennial flower beds become uneven.

So, from time to time, I spread a mix of top soil and compost over the beds in spring, before plants begin to emerge.











The day after I spread several wheel-barrow loads of new top soil over one of my front garden beds and straightened the brick border, the whole bed was already riddled with holes... made by squirrels planting seeds! (I wonder what they planted!)

I know they love digging in soft soil!






My retaliation: surrounding emerging plants with rocks!

(If gardening involved only planting and weeding, I'd have so much less work to do. But here in our neighborhood, it's a game of strategy ... with squirrels! I wish I could say that I'm winning, but at best it's a tie. They're relentless! ... But they do keep me on my toes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment