Saturday, March 29, 2014

Visiting a Honolulu Botanical Garden

There were several places I wanted to visit when I went to Honolulu, among them a botanical garden of native plants. I discovered that Honolulu had five botanical gardens - not necessarily with all native plants.














The easiest one for us to get to by city bus was the Foster Botanical Garden near the main downtown hospital.


















Unfortunately I didn't bring along my drawing supplies:














There were so many beautiful flowers...














... and interesting leaves...














... to paint and draw.


















I couldn't help but wonder how hard it would be to organize a "botanical art" trip for artists!














With five botanical gardens in and around Honolulu, we could sit and draw or paint in a different one every day!














My daughter and I wandered around, enjoying the different parts of the garden, sitting down from time to time to enjoy the peace and beauty. We weren't used to the hot weather!


















Many of the trees were impressively large!














This one was perfect for hugging!


















Another, a cannon ball tree, dropped large"cannon-ball-size" seed pods from time to time. An unwary person sitting under the tree could be bonked in the head!














We wandered through the open greenhouse in the "butterfly garden."


















I had never seen a plant like this one before - a stag horn fern! (Does it attract butterflies?!)


















There were other botanical gardens I wanted to see, especially one located in Koko crater - but we ran out of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment