Friday, March 21, 2014

My Swedish Flower Seeds

I haven't planted seeds indoors for years. I used to have a vegetable garden when my children were young. Then I enjoyed planting tomato seeds in March and watching my seedlings grow. Eventually I stopped - when we started taking our family vacations in August and my neighbors ended up enjoying the fruit of my labor.

But I have been thinking of planting seedlings again - this time flowers. In particular I have been thinking of two packs of flower seeds my son brought back from a visit to a Swedish botanical garden almost a ten years ago, shortly after I began the front yard transformation from grass to flowers. I had no idea what kind they are. There was no picture on the packet - and all the writing is in Swedish.

The first winter I had the seeds, I kept them on a shelf near my favorite reading chair. But somehow I never planted them. Then I "tidied up" and moved the seeds! From then on, I could never find them in spring when I thought of planting them.

Time to hunt again!














I can hardly believe that I found them. A google search of the plant names (in Swedish) tells me that one is an apricot-colored poppy and the other is a purple Jacob's Ladder flower. They come from Botaniska Tradgard in Goteborgs, Sweden.

Hopefully they'll still grow - even though the seeds are 9 years old!

No comments:

Post a Comment