Friday, March 28, 2014

Hawaiian Quilts

Quilting is popular in Hawaii.













Hawaiian-style quilts can be seen everywhere.


















Originally they were made out of flags, as this old quilt (above) shows.














Appliqued leaf patterns - made by tracing the shapes of leaves on fabric - are a traditional Hawaiian style...


















Pineapples are another traditional motif.














I love the way quilting here has developed its own flavor here. I'd have been tempted to buy a quilt or some fabric... but I haven't finished the quilted pillow kit I bought five years ago when I was last in Hawaii! Must look for it... then get back to work!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Marlene. At the Guild I attended we learned how to do this and I still have not finished mine. I must admit hand applique is not my thing but seeing these beautiful pieces, just might inspire me to finish my pillow!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer machine piecing to hand applique as well. I think that's why my pillow isn't done either! Hawaiian quilts are really lovely. No fabric prints - mostly just plain colors.

    ReplyDelete