Sunday, March 2, 2014

Some Thoughts on "Work"

During my "working days" I looked forward to vacations (and retirement) - times when my life wouldn't be controlled by my 7 to 5 day ... and a tote bag of essays to mark that I always carried around in case I had a few minutes to spare.

Those days are gone - but work hasn't stopped in retirement. The pace, however, has changed: I do what I have time and inclination to do. I no longer push myself, remembering, as one retired friend commented: There's always tomorrow!

I also have more time to reflect on work. I like the Benedictine concept that "work is what we do to continue what God wanted done. Work is co-creative... purposeful and perfecting and valuable... We work because the world is unfinished and it is ours to develop... To have a gift that can nourish the community I must be all that I can be..."

That's true at every age and stage of life - even in retirement! 

No comments:

Post a Comment