Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Segway Adventure

Our first few days in Honolulu, we noticed several groups traveling around on Segways.














It looked like a fun way of getting around! When we came across the Segway rental office, we signed up for a three and a half hour historical and cultural tour in downtown Honolulu. It didn't cross my mind that I would first  have to learn to ride a Segway! From a distance, it looked effortless! But once I got on, and found myself higher off the ground than usual - with a machine pulsing under my feet, I realized it was a little harder than it looked.


















We would be riding on sidewalks as well as bike paths, sometimes with cars and trucks nearby, so we had to know how to stop or turn suddenly. It helped that the instructor compared it to riding a horse. 














Our ride was a real adventure!














Our guide (in the straw hat below) took us to beaches and parks we had never visited before.














I had my camera, but could only take pictures when we stopped for a break.














One interesting stop was at the Honolulu harbor.


















We paused to watch fish swimming around some coral.














It was a wonderful way to see Honolulu and some of its most historic places. My first Segway adventure should probably have been shorter - I was stiff (from standing so long) in the end. But the hour and a half ride up (and down) Diamond Head crater didn't seem that easy either!

Now I'm ready for my next Segway adventure! (Perhaps closer to home...!)

No comments:

Post a Comment