Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Painting Pots

Patience and persistence are prerequisites for potters: Every step forward starts with a challenge ... and a loss of confidence!


















Inspired by this mug made by my instructor, I decided to try something different. Why not paint designs on my pots instead of simply dipping them in a colored liquid glaze..

Your pots have a textured surface, one of the experienced potters in the studio commented. A smooth surface is best for painting on. But try and see what happens.














So I did! But I think she was right... After the bisque firing, prior to painting, the pots are very dry and porous. Maybe I should have watered down the colors - or wet the area I was going to paint on first. Fortunately that was just my first coat. They say that three coats are needed for colors to come out bright. Then a clear glaze has to be added to make the pots shiny and food-safe.

(There is so much to learn. T and E - trial and error - are the best teacher in most things I do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment