Thursday, October 31, 2013

Memories of... a Witch's Kitchen!

Last Saturday was the final Farmers Market for the summer season.














(There is one more in December, a popular Christmas sale.)














Seeing the "haunted house" on the second floor of the market building reminded me of the time, when I was four or five, that I attended a Halloween party in my mother's elementary school classroom.


















The cloakroom at the back had been transformed into a "Witch's Kitchen." Older students blindfolded us younger ones, one by one, and led us through. They dipped our hands in "fresh blood" (warm water) and gave us "bones" (uncooked pasta) to eat. The horror of it all!

After being led through, blindfolded - amid cackles and screams, we were thankfully able to watch the next victim being led through. Seeing what they were actually eating and touching quelled our fears! But it must have been memorable - I haven't forgotten the event some 60 years later! It was also a lesson in the power of suggestion. I learned that what I thought was real - and reality - could be very different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment