Sunday, October 6, 2013

Our Most Precious Resource

It's easy to be frivolous with TIME when life has few scheduled demands - as is the case in retirement. No more rigid work schedules. No more driving children to soccer practice and dance class after work, eating on the run. These days I'm pretty well free to do whatever I want whenever I want to do it!

So it's easy to take TIME for granted. For the first time in my life (since early childhood), I'm FREE from the demands of TIME.

But then I encounter the sobering words: "The way we spend our time may well be our greatest resource... With the invention of the light bulb... human beings could break the natural rhythm of work and rest and sleep. Now human beings could begin to destroy the framework of life [night and day] and turn it into one eternal day, with, ironically, no time for family, no time for reading, no time for prayer, no time for privacy, no time for silence... We wake up some day and realize we haven't heard from old friends for years; we haven't visited aging relatives ... for months; we don't know the names of our cousin's children... And life is flying by." (Wisdom Distilled From the Daily, pages 74-76).

All this leaves me wondering: Am I doing what I truly value with this limited resource, TIME?

No comments:

Post a Comment