Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Autumn Yard Work

I do as little as possible outdoors when the weather is unbearably hot - and this summer we had weeks of very hot weather.














But at this time of the year, there is so much to do outdoors... I'm glad it is finally cooler again! Time to cut down the golden rod rudbeckia (above)..














 There! It's gone!














Time to cut back the invasive Virginia Creeper that's climbing up the hedge... There are weeds and thistles that have to go and dead flowers to cut back.














(Maybe, like my neighbor Mary, I should save some seeds!)














Do you want me to cut everything down with my electric hedge trimmer? Terry asks. (We tried it last year.)

No, I think I'll do selective hand trimming, I tell him. I like to be reminded I have a garden when I see a few dead plants peeking out from under the winter snow!














Here it is! A morning's work... in three plastic garbage cans! And still more on the compost heap!

No comments:

Post a Comment