Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A New Hobby

I have always been fascinated by pottery making - watching clumps of clay turn magically into mugs and bowls. I often buy hand-made pottery. Admiring it,  I wistfully wonder if I could learn to make some myself. (It can't be that hard, can it?!)














Scanning this year's daytime course offerings at the Sportsplex, I came across the pottery class schedule - and decided (impulsively) to give it a try!

My first class, a few days ago, was a lot messier than I expected! It's a lot like playing in mud, so you need to dress accordingly! This is the wheel and basin when I was cleaning up. (My hands were too dirty and sticky to take pictures during class time!)














It took a lot of concentration to turn my first piece of clay into a cylinder - the object of lesson one. Amid the concentration, we closed our eyes to get the feel of the spinning clay. For a brief moment, I caught the thrill of it... Which is probably when I lost control... and ended up with this wonky creation!














Now I'm checking online to see how much used electrical pottery wheels cost! I want to practice - I can't wait till my next class!

No comments:

Post a Comment