Sunday, October 20, 2013

Time to "Obey"?

Obedience has always been a difficult concept for me (unless, of course, I was expecting my children or my students to obey ME!)

My father used to say: Family is a democracy. (Though it really can't be - not when one person holds the responsibility and controls the purse strings!) But I appreciate what he was trying to do. He didn't want us to live in a male-dominated family where father was dictatorial boss. And he was trying to get my brother and me to think for ourselves. (Of course, I often took that a step further and challenged what he said or did - yet he never expressed regret at taking that parental approach.)

I have been thinking about "obedience" in a different light recently - obedience that extends beyond control to meeting (or "obeying") needs of those around us. In our family, I tend to do the baking. I don't know why - that's just the way it is. Terry often expresses regret that I don't bake much anymore. (I stopped when I became type 2 diabetic!)














So as I notice the three boxes of cakes that he purchased to fill his cake "need," maybe it's time to "obey" my family and start making home-made cakes and cookies again.














Not every day perhaps, but certainly from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment