Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Spring Flowers in Mauve and Pink

The flower bed I appreciate the most is the one in the backyard, which I can see through the window.


















This is the original flower garden that was here when we moved in.














I look forward to the arrival of the peonies and the tiger lilies (which haven't started blooming yet).


















I have added flowers to enlarge the bed (like this purple one above whose name I've forgotten.) There are a few intrusive ones that I regret adding: I have to dig them up annually to prevent them from overtaking everything else. But the sad truth is that I can hold them back a bit, but I can't get rid of them.














  Until the tiger lilies appear, the garden is pink and mauve, with touches of white on the hostas and the gout weed or bishops weed, one of the intrusive plants I have grown to resent - as it takes so much of my gardening efforts to control it. Ideally it should be enclosed by a barrier like a sidewalk.














 If I have learned anything throughout my years of gardening, it is to appreciate plants that SIT in one place - and to avoid those with underground root systems that spread.














The Persian cornflower is another of these wanderers. It would take over the entire back flower bed if I didn't dig it up ruthlessly as soon as it stops blooming. But following year - it's always back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment