Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fountain of Flowers

I love that fountain of flowers, Terry commented. What are they?


















He was pointing at the clematis blooming on a trellis at the edge of our back deck.














They do look striking - with their purple velvety flowers.














Thanks to my botanical drawing course, I have become more attentive to other details, too, like the buds and the flowers just about to open...














... the delicate silver stamens in the center, a perfect contrast in color and texture. And the three ridges (like quilting) running through each petal.

I'm amazed to see how well the plant is doing. It looked so dry and worn in early spring, after a winter of being buffeted by the wind. It seemed ready to fall off the trellis, so I cut it back significantly. Now it looks healthier than ever, with dozens of buds waiting to bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment