Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Another Art Class at the Wildlife Garden

We were back at the Fletcher Wildlife Garden for last Wednesday's botanical drawing class. Some students prefer the ornamental gardens of the Experimental Farm, where we have had our last two classes, but personally I prefer this cozy spot.















This time different flowers were in bloom...


















... like these roses - both pink and white ...


















... and a few flowers I have at home (like the one above) that I didn't realize were native plants. I thought they were carnations.














I enjoyed seeing this transformation in the prairie smoke (old man's whiskers) I had sketched a month ago.















I chose to draw a two-color columbine flower (which I forgot to photograph). In fact, I spent the whole morning on it, adding color after the coffee break. It was a fun experience, and the addition of color gives a better sense of what the flower looks like, for future reference.

I haven't learned how to use water colors, but I tried a few water color pencils Kerri had on hand. The paper buckled as it wasn't thick enough to hold the water. But the experiment later sent me to You Tube to find more instructions on how to use water color pencils. Flowers are all about color, so adding color seems like a logical next step.















 As we were leaving, a few of us stopped to photograph this plant, next to the building, that looks speckled but was actually still covered with raindrops from overnight rain - and a dripping roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment