Saturday, June 9, 2012

Sale of Native Plants

A few weeks ago, when we were doing our drawings at the Fletcher Wildlife Garden, we saw plants being prepared for the upcoming native plant sale held annually by volunteers in support of the wild flower garden.














I marked the date on my calendar as I didn't want to miss it.














The plant I really wanted to buy is called "prairie smoke" or "old man's whiskers."  I had attempted to draw it during one of my classes. In the picture above, our instructor, Kerri, had shown us how to put a piece of white paper behind one stem in order to see an individual flower more easily.














The day of the plant sale was rainy (and muddy)...














I wasn't sure how many people would be there - so I was surprised to see a steady stream of people braving the elements to buy plants...














(Gardeners are a hardy breed!)














 It was hard to know what to choose, as I don't have a lot of space.














 I ended up buying 3 small plants... The prairie smoke (center) as well as a plant called "pussy toes." Then another plant that apparently tolerates shade, which I plan to plant under the pine trees.


















 I don't remember its name, but I photographed this label which I THINK is the plant I got. There were so many people milling around and so many plant stands, that I don't remember where I picked it up!

Fortunately the Wildlife Garden's website has a comprehensive catalog of their plants, so if the plant thrives, I'll be able to see what it is called!

No comments:

Post a Comment