Monday, January 24, 2011

There Must Be a Lesson in This

A few days ago, I mentioned losing some quilting fabric I had purchased in Paris, France. I "lost" it in the house after tidying up. Fortunately, it did turn up again... several years later!

I have written other blog posts on how easily I lose things: I take great pains to find just the "right" place for them... and then forget where that "right" place is!

Recently it happened again! Last summer I decided that the time had come to organize my digital photos. A lot of them were on my old computer. Should that computer suddenly break down, I would lose years of pictures. So I painstakingly transferred them all to a memory stick. In fact, I transferred them to two memory sticks (in order to have a backup copy...)

Then the other day, a former student contacted me. After chatting a while, I offered to share some digital photos I had... But when I looked for them, I couldn't find them!

I then realized that so many memories on such a small (easy-to-lose) device was really pushing my luck! I need online backups of all my photos - perhaps on Shutterfly - or Picasa - or BOTH!

(And I should never keep the back up memory stick with the other!!)

Maybe I need to follow my daughter's advice and burn all my photos onto a CD. Perhaps onto 2 CDs - then keep a one and give the other to a friend.

Or maybe I should give lots of copies away. Years ago one of my friends lost most of her possessions in a house fire. She later commented that the only photos she now had were ones she had originally given away to family and friends, which they were now returning to her.

Well, the good news is that I did eventually find my memory sticks. (Yes, the original and the backup were in the same place!) How did I find them? My usual method - by going back and looking again... in the most logical place I would put them...

In fact, I've posted a blog about that strategy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment