Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Killing Time

What are you doing to kill time these days? my 91-year-old mother asked me on the phone recently, after we had exchanged greetings and she had commented on how the cold and snow were making it impossible for her to go outdoors for her daily walk.

To kill time? The expression - which I hadn't heard in years - seemed odd! At her age - and mine - time was certainly no enemy?!

In fact, for me, time was passing all too quickly! My days were full of so many plans... Would I manage accomplish them all?!

These years - when I no longer have to please an employer - are bonus years! Years when I can focus on all the things I enjoy: traveling, writing, visiting family and friends, creating fabric and yarn "art"... I can finally be the "freelance writer" and "artist" I've always wanted to be!

I"m finally living my dream! What pure joy!

So I hang up the phone, my mother's words a sharp reminder to appreciate life, to live each day to the fullest!

(I wonder where the horrible expression - "killing time" - ever came from?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment