Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Joy of Forgetfulness...

Every year from August on, I begin to pick up Christmas gifts for my family. I wrap them, tag them, and hide them away in my closet. When Christmas time approaches, I count how many gifts I have for each person in my family, and try to even out the numbers - I don't want anyone to feel left out!

On Christmas morning, I am as surprised as the ones opening the gifts - as I have totally forgotten what I bought them!

Me saying - in all sincerity - What did I get you? has become an old family joke!

But I'm forgetful at other times too. My worst "forgetful" experience involves a skateboard I hid one winter, so that the kids wouldn't practice on the hard basement floor (though I'm not sure it is any harder than pavement). Maybe I felt they'd be crashing into walls and doorways. In any event, I hid the brand-new birthday-gift skateboard, my daughter's pride and joy. I remember thinking, the kids will find it here. I'd better find a better place... So I moved it to a "better place" and it has never been found since! I eventually paid my daughter for the skateboard that I had "lost." Years later, renovators had to remove walls after our basement flooded.

Let me know if you find a skateboard, I told the builders, but they never did.

The closest I may have gotten was once when a group of kids was playing hide and seek in the basement. After a while, I came downstairs and said, By the way, if any of you find a skateboard, let me know. I lost one.

I saw one, one little girl said.

Where? I asked.

Er, I don't remember, was her reply.

The reason I'm mentioning all this is that I have discovered that my blog site allows me to prepare blogs days ahead of time - and set the date I want them to pop up. Ideas come to me in bunches, so I work on several at a time. Sometimes I have 3 and 4 ready at a time - so I set the dates they are to appear, and move on.

And of course, when I do that, I forget what I wrote about... so those prepared-in-advance blogs are always a surprise to me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment