Saturday, January 8, 2011

My "Gathering-the-Fragments" Afghan

I often have small bits of yarn left over from larger projects.

What to do with them?!

A popular solution is this colorful afghan... It starts with a row of crochet as long or as wide as you want the afghan to be. Every row is a different color...














No piece of yarn is too short to find its place, as colors can be changed in the middle of a row.














Each row begins and ends with a fringe.














Only the top strand of yarn is picked up...














But every 10th stitch is a big stitch that goes down over the previous row. The following row, the big stitch is made one stitch over to the left. This creates a diagonal pattern that unifies the multi-color design.

When the afghan is big enough, you stop!

It's easy and fun to make!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea, Marlene! Can you use different thicknesses of yarn too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only to a point. If the yarn is quite a bit thinner than the main yarn, I'd double it. Also, if I were using thicker yarn, I wouldn't do a lot of rows together of thicker yarn, but occasional rows with thicker yarn do work. In the third picture, the rust-colored yarn is thicker than the white, and it works.

    Glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should add that the afghan is knit on the right side only, not back and forth, to get this effect. And I always have to watch that I don't decrease a stitch every time I begin a new row. I have to consciously count to see that I haven't accidentally skipped the first stitch.

    But otherwise, it's easy to make, and the result is quite striking.

    ReplyDelete