Saturday, January 1, 2011

Reflections On a New Year

Happy New Year!

January 1 for me is a day PERSONAL REFLECTION and NEW RESOLVE - a quick check of the compass of my life... Am I living the way I want to live? Am I doing what I want to do?

My mind often focuses on little changes I would like to see happen... a tidier house, more exercise, a healthier life...

And sometimes I do make small promises to myself (NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS) that I often break before January is done! Because change is hard! And there is quiet comfort in the status quo!

But sometimes I ask myself the BIG QUESTIONS like...

What am I looking for?

What's my aim and goal?

What am I really trying to get out of life?

Every chapter of life is different... But somewhere deep inside, there is a goal - a "heart's desire" that is unique to each of us. Whatever stage of life we're at, I think that our happiness depends, to a large extent, on whether we are fulfilling this dream, whatever it may be.

So January 1 is often a time when I reflect on my inner compass...

Am I following the dreams and desires God has placed in my heart...?

As Shakespeare wrote: "To thine own self be true" (Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 3)

2 comments:

  1. typo - from one teacher to another. You meant 'to thine own self be true'. This never happens to me, of course! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - to think own self be true should be to thine own self be true!! Wondering what Freudian slip I have here!

    ReplyDelete