Saturday, January 22, 2011

My French Pinwheel Quilt














Last time I was in Paris, I searched (on Google) for a shop that sold French quilting fabric. I didn't know if quilting was popular, or even known, in France.

I didn't find many fabric stores, but one on the left bank (one of my favorite areas) sold both quilting fabric and antique furniture. So I headed off to find it...

Not sure what kind of quilt I wanted to make, I ended up buying a packet of 30 pre-cut squares that had a lot of variety in color and design.














When I got back home, I took the fabric out and looked at it for a long time... hoping to be inspired. I wasn't sure what kind of quilt to make with these tiny bits of fabric...

Then one day, after tidying up, I "lost" it!

(By "lost" - I mean that I knew it was somewhere in the house... I just didn't know where ... and I couldn't seem to find it, however hard I looked!)

Years passed... Yes, years! And whenever I thought about the fabric, I would be annoyed at myself. After all, purchasing it had been a major effort!

Then last week, as I sorted through all my plastic bins of quilting fabric, organizing them by color... there it was, at the bottom of a bin!

I mention all this because that is why - though I have a lot of unfinished projects on the go - I dropped everything to make a quilt out of my French squares. My reasoning was that if it were bigger, I would have a harder time losing it! And since the squares were small to begin with, and I wasn't sure what pattern to make, I divided them in half, making triangles... (A lot of quilt designs are made up of triangular shapes!)














I laid them out this way...














... and that... And finally decided to make a pinwheel quilt...


















Now - three days later - I have sewn the main part together...

And again, I'm spending a lot of time looking at it - wondering what kind of border to put around it... I'd like it to be a little bigger.














(I'm determined to finish it before I lose it again!)

1 comment:

  1. The picture at the top of the post was taken at Luxembourg Gardens, not at the quilt shop. I don't know why, but I took very few pictures on that trip.

    ReplyDelete