Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A NYC Gathering Place: Bryant Park

One of the my favorite spots in New York City is Bryant Park, a surprisingly quiet green space next to the Public Library in downtown Manhattan.














An outdoor seating area with tables and chairs, as well as benches, it is an inviting milieu where people can sit and rest - or read. The library provides a rack of newspapers in one part of the park. Seeing several older gentlemen reading the papers there reminded me that Manhattan is home to many.














Another part of the park has a book rack - and play area - for children.














There are areas for games, like ping pong ... and this form of outdoor bowling. (I'm not sure what it's called or what the rules are, but I've seen it played in parks in Munich and Stuttgart, Germany as well.)

Food is available at a restaurant or from several kiosks. But even those who bring bag lunches are allowed to use the tables.....














My favorite area was the South West porch which had dozens of rocking chairs!














If I go back again - and it isn't raining - I plan to spend time relaxing here - in the heart of the BIG APPLE!


No comments:

Post a Comment