Sunday, May 23, 2010

Do I Need Another Writers' Conference?

One of the events I attend from time to time is a two-day Christian Writers' Conference - held in Guelph, Ontario - southwest of Toronto. I do it to learn from editors and seasoned writers, to challenge myself in my writing goals - in short, to infuse new life into this part of my life.

It is interesting to mingle with others who share a writing dream - whatever that means to us individually. Many - like me - feel it is a calling:

Writing chose me - I didn't choose it...

I am still struggling with what to write and how to write meaningful reflections and stories that will help others and bring them joy.

The writers I would most like to emulate are James Harriott, the British veterinarian, who started to write late in life - and whose stories are infused with humor and wisdom, as he opens up the world of country animals - and their owners.

I have also enjoyed Madeleine L'Engle's intimate Crosswicks Journals (accounts of her life). I admire her because her Christian faith is part of who she is - as she goes about her daily life, interacting with her friends and family (mother, children, grandchildren, husband - an actor), in New York City and their country home.

A third writer I admire is Catherine Marshall, who mentored me in my 20s and 30s - through her books on prayer and her honest reflections on faith struggles.

As I look at the program for this year's writers' conference, I am intrigued by a blogger who will be teaching one class. Farm wife, mother of six (who homeschools her children), she write a blog that has over a thousand followers. (How does she do it all?!)

Do I need fresh inspiration? Or should I simply pull out old notes to refresh my memory?

How have I progressed since the last conference I attended two years ago? Where do I hope to go with my writing now?

These are all questions I'll have to answer before I decide...

No comments:

Post a Comment