Sunday, May 2, 2010

Natural Theology

Theology - the study of God - is one of my interests.

For quite a few years now, I have been reading through the volumes of The Daily Study Bible, a translation and commentary by William Barclay, a respected Christian theologian and expert in Greek.

Today, for the first time, I came across the expression "natural theology" (seeing God work in nature) which Barclay contrasts with "revealed theology" (revelations about God made by prophets).

Barclay comments that the ancient Greeks, reflecting on the seasons, saw an ordered universe (rather than chaos) and concluded that a great, logical mind had created the world.

It made me realize that I (a city-dweller) don't stop to reflect on nature often enough...

But when earthquakes and volcanoes occur - as they recently have - and I hear about them in the news, I am reminded of God's amazing power... in nature!

I confess that I want God to work in my life, according to my agenda!

But God sometimes uses events bigger than my imagination to remind me that He has an agenda too ... and He is in control!

No comments:

Post a Comment