Thursday, May 6, 2010

Finding Delight in Work

Attitude determines so much!

After reading the blog of a young nurse, a self-confessed DOER who is struggling to learn to BE, I had to admit: I too am a DOER.

But the words in her blog that jumped out at me were her concluding prayer... that we delight in the works [God] has given us to do.

Delighting - an awareness that life is a wonderful gift - combines doing and being.

I know I don't "delight" enough!

When I am busy - focused on a task - the work often seems a burden to get through, rather than a joy.

Like another friend, who confided that someone, observing his stern, determined face - and slightly grumpy demeanor - challenged him to think:

I get to do this!... instead of... I've got to do this...

The way we look at it makes all the difference!














So today, as I go out in my yard, which has become a small field of dandelions that need my attention, a task I don't relish facing - I plan to step back and tell myself: I GET TO do this!... (Yes, God has given me a lovely garden space where I can enjoy a physical connection with nature...)

Then as I move on to the laundry and dishes - I pray that I will again step back, pause, and look at all God has blessed me with, and DELIGHT in the work God has given me to do,... amid the people He has surrounded me with... (And the machines that make the work much easier!)

1 comment:

  1. Marlene
    Thanks for the link :)
    I'm more grateful still to know that we're together in laying our doing down so our empty hands can receive more from Him.
    peace.

    ReplyDelete