Saturday, May 29, 2010

Good Deeds are... Good for Us??!

In a counseling course, Terry learned that people often quit seeing a counselor... just when they are beginning to get to the essence of the problem. They start to feel the pain - and, rather than lance the blister, they walk away, leaving it to fester some more.

Perhaps that's why I left Debbie Macomber's book, One Simple Act for the past few days! I would read a bit, but when it came to the action part - the challenge to put generosity into action, I'd close the book and tell myself, I'll think about this another time.

Do a good deed every day. When I was growing up, this expression was in common usage. A boy scouts' goal, the concept filtered down into society as a whole. I wonder if we were kinder and gentler back then. I'm not sure, though I'm attracted by the concept of giving... and receiving more kindness.

In her book, Debbie challenges readers to consciously look for ways to help others - because kindness and generosity, like viruses, spread.

As an added impetus, she mentions a study that concludes that:

"Helping lessens the effects of both physical and mental disease, reduces stress, and gives you a rush of happiness..."

"The volunteers...testified to feeling a rush of euphoria, followed by a longer period of calm, after performing a kind act. This feeling, ... [a] "helper's high," involves physical sensations that strongly indicate a sharp reduction in stress and the release of the body's natural painkillers, the endorphins. This initial rush is then followed by a longer-lasting period of improved emotional well-being."

In a recent blog post on 1000 Awesome Things, the author mentions how learning to share his lunch in kindergarten ended his shyness and lack of self-confidence.

All this leaves me reflecting on how I can live more generously, attempting to consciously participate in random acts of kindness.

(And I'll try not to put away the book until it's done!)

No comments:

Post a Comment