Friday, May 7, 2010

New York's Gentler Side: Central Park

After spending several days pounding the pavement in New York City, we needed a more relaxing kind of day.

Central Park, my son suggested.

I was apprehensive: Was it safe?

He gave me the look...that says, Mother, what are you thinking?!!

Of course it's safe!














At the park entrance we found horse-drawn carriages for hire, offering 30- or 60-minute rides on park roads.














We opted to stroll on a foot path.














Gardeners were busily trimming back plants...














Flowers were blooming...














The place had a peaceful air of country...














Only at clearings did I remember that the park was the middle of a bustling city!














This view overlooks a clearing that becomes a skating rink in winter. The ice gone, Zambonis were still parked, waiting for next winter .














I was surprised by the abundance of flowers and well-kept lawns. (Based on what I had seen on the Seinfeld show, I expected the park to have nothing but trees...)














There were even a few baseball diamonds, with recreational games in progress.

Terry paused to watch several innings of a lunch-hour game between employees of two newspapers... While I wandered over to an ice-cream stand - and watched parents and children pass by.

It was amazing to realize that there was still so much green space in the middle of this enormous city.

No comments:

Post a Comment