Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ground Zero














One of the most emotional places I visited in New York City was Ground Zero - where New York City's twin towers stood before 9/11. Now a massive construction site, it is best seen in this aerial photograph posted nearby...














I had visited the twin towers - New York's tallest buildings at the time - when I was in my 20s. I remember looking up - and noticing they seemed to be moving slightly... (Or was that because someone had told me they needed to be a little flexible to endure strong winds?!) I also remember how dark it was on the sidewalk beside the buildings - the massive structures blocking the sun's rays.














In the days following 9/11, I had heard stories of how the neighborhood pulled together, helping each other.

I remember hearing how a little church across the street became a hub for volunteers, a place where residents and volunteers could drop in for solace.














There it was! St. Paul's Chapel - an old church that became a makeshift center for volunteers who came to help with cleanup operations.














The chapel is full of pictures, letters and banners sent by well-wishers from around the world.














I didn't know that the church was the oldest in continuous use in the USA - or that George Washington, in fact, had worshiped there.














It is still a vibrant faith community.














Near the church, another museum has video tapes and photographs that tell the 9/11 story and its impact on the community...

For me, it was hard to listen to the stories of survivors and family members of those who died. After nearly a decade, it is still too fresh and real in my mind - too emotional - to take in.

1 comment:

  1. i am so glad you shared your visit to Ground Zero, thank you!
    i know i will never forget.

    ReplyDelete