Sunday, April 18, 2010

The "R" Word

My generation is struggling with the "R" word - RETIREMENT. Also known as "Freedom 55" in Canada - a term coined by advertisers in some popular bank ads a few years back. Or "elderhood" - a new term mentioned in an article in yesterday's Ottawa Citizen! We are struggling to define a stage in life that is evolving, as people live longer, leave jobs, yet are searching for meaningful ways to spend their time, without the stress that comes with full-time work...

I recently read an article where a (semi-) retired writer (who still contributes articles to various newspapers and magazines) referred to RETIREMENT as the "R" word, suggesting that baby-boomers are afraid to say that they are RETIRED because they don't want to feel old!

Perhaps that's true! I was older than (Freedom) 55 when I stopped teaching - but, in my mind, I wasn't retiring - I was transitioning into another "job" - at home - doing things I enjoyed.

The transition has gone smoothly, and I keep busy... blogging, gardening, cooking, quilting - creative endeavors I really enjoy. (You may have noticed that I omitted the word "cleaning"!) Occasionally I take my mother to see a doctor - but, thankfully, she is doing well right now. Yet I'm surprised that I haven't "found the time" to take a painting class or to begin volunteering on a regular basis - things I thought I would do in RETIREMENT.

But, the reality is, I'm really happy - and BUSY - in my new "career" as a housewife! - for lack of a better word!

So as I watch Terry ease into his own new phase of life - "Freedom 55" (or whatever he chooses to call it) - I realize that, although I'm not sure what to call what I do, I have developed a routine I am very happy with. I get up early, have a quiet time alone - reading, reflecting, praying, drinking coffee... Then I have breakfast, put a load of washing into the machine or run the dishwasher, write a blog or two, have lunch. Go to Curves, often stopping to do some shopping on my way home.

Sometimes I work in the garden, other days I quilt... Occasionally I vacuum and dust. Then I make supper, clean up, and go for a walk... By then I'm ready for bed...

I don't feel RETIRED - I feel as if I'm living life at the pace life was meant to be lived!

In fact, I'm not sure what RETIREMENT means! But for me, it means a process: a change...

And maybe one of these days, that change will allow me to empty the shelves in the basement where I keep all "teaching" materials... in case I ever need them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment