Friday, April 23, 2010

Buying More Books!

Last Saturday and Sunday, our public library held its annual Mammoth Used Book Sale - an event not to be missed!

I had a list of books I was looking for - but of course, I didn't find any of them! But I did get a number of books I wasn't looking for! Here's the pile I brought home! - among them a few gems!














I spent a lot of time in the religion and biography sections, searching unsuccessfully for books by Madeleine L'Engle and Glenn Clarke (a well-known writer in the 1920's whose books are no longer in print)... But instead, I came away with biographies of Bill Clinton, Walt Whitman, and John Wimber. (I'm always interested in reading about the lives of interesting people.)














I also picked up a few poetry books, like Leaves of Grass, and the complete works of Thomas Hardy... as well as a German grammar text and a Jewish Prayer Book...














Also Simple Abundance Daybook by Sarah Ban Breathnach, which I remember looking at years ago, when it was new...

But my absolute favorite so far is George Foreman's Guide to Life... (I got it because Terry and my sons like boxing...)


















However, I may not part with it! Each (short) chapter combines the wisdom of experience with interesting life anecdotes. An easy book to read, it still offers lots of food for thought. (I'm already half way through it!)

I especially appreciate his comments on parenting - on embracing change - and on taking advice from others. George Foreman has a lot of wisdom to share!

The book sale is a great way of sharing books with readers like me who rarely use the public library...because they always end up paying fines for overdue books.

This way, I pay a dollar or two before I read the book - and once I take it home, I have as much time as I need to finish it. Then, when I'm done, I can always donate it back to the library's next annual book sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment