Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Non-Veggie Lover's Salad

Truth be told, I'd rather eat bread (pie, cake or cookies) than veggies... And I mean, for my main course, not just for dessert!

But I'm supposed to eat more veggies.. I know they're good for me and as a type 2 diabetic, I would be better off if I substituted veggies and fruit for most of the carbs I love to eat.

So I try to eat a lot of veggies every day. At lunch, I often make a large salad... but I try to make it less salad-like by adding fruit and nuts. Here's what I do:














I buy containers of greens and pre-washed veggies that are easy to deal with. (Why make it harder than it has to be?!) I fill the bowl with mixed greens and cut up the other veggies - carrots, cauliflower, broccoli florets... So the salad is full of vegetables and healthy.














Then I add 3-4 tablespoons of nuts. Here I have almonds and pecans.


















I top that with berries or fruit. Here I have added some frozen raspberries and blueberries, 4-5 tablespoons. I then add a tablespoon or 2 of balsamic vinegar - no oil.

I usually let it sit for 10 minutes, so the frozen fruit gets a chance to thaw.

I really enjoy the mix of tastes - nutty, fruity, balsamic sour - and I almost forget I'm eating a bowl of bland veggies together with the nuts and fruit which give it flavor and color.














Sometimes I add mandarin orange slices, bits of avocado, chunks of cheese or meat. In fact, I do whatever I can to spice it up, and make it taste a little different every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment