Friday, October 2, 2020

Back to Painting ... From Photographs

Early in my retirement, I took classes in botanical drawing and painting...

I took classes for several years. They were among my most satisfying sessions, because the focus was limited. Staring at a single fruit, twig, or leaf didn't overwhelm me the way painting scenery does...

There are times when a photograph of some scene... draws me to paint it...

Like this photo my mother took when she and my father were on a cruise with my brother and his family. Had they just disembarked from the ship and begun to walk around the beach? 

First I sketched it with water color pencils - that I can paint over later...



As I compare my sketch to the photo, I realize I need to focus more on perspective...

Perspective isn't an issue when you draw a single fruit, leaf or flower, but it does when painting scenery...

It all takes practice! I guess I'll just have to try again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment