Sunday, March 17, 2019

Winter Walking - Indoors!

When my mother first moved to Ottawa, she lived across the street from a shopping center - where she would "mall walk" for at least an hour every day.

She loved her convenient apartment!












If bad weather prevented her from going out, she'd clip on her pedometer (to count her steps) and walk up and down the corridors - until she had completed 10,000 steps!








Walking 10,000 steps became her daily goal.

Occasionally in summer she'd try walking outdoors, around the pool, but the sidewalks were sometimes uneven.

It's easy to trip and fall.






This year, for the first time, I've started to "mall walk," too. The roads and sidewalks have simply been too icy for me to venture outdoors.

I go mall walking several times a week, I recently told a friend.

I can't walk outdoors either, but don't need a mall, she replied. All I need is a supermarket. I walk up and down the aisles, back and forth, back and forth... There are a lot of aisles.

I'll have to try that, I thought...

So now, even a trip to Costco - where I invariably lose Terry - is an opportunity to take a long walk.

Even a dollar store has lots of long aisles for walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment