Sunday, March 3, 2019

Reading the Bible Chronologically

One of my goals in retirement has been to get a better historic perspective of Christianity.

I bought a chronological Bible a while back. It took me five years to read the first time I read it... (from 2006 to 2011) though it is divided into 365 sections, if one's intention is to finish it in a year.













After a break of several years, I started reading it through again in 2015. I'm currently at about the halfway point. This time, I've added a few more resources: my iPad and several study handbooks...








Recently I also added the Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible to my daily reading. It has very comprehensive up-to-date historic notes. So interesting!














Some of the illustrations are also interesting - like this model of a potter at work, from the Oriental Institute Museum of the University of Chicago, a place I'd like to visit sometime.

I don't cover a lot of ground any one day - so it will take me at least 5 years to get through the whole Bible again, I'm sure. But the historic perspective added by all these resources makes the study very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment