Sunday, March 10, 2019

First Sunday in Lent: a Reflection from Julian of Norwich

From time to time, I read something I want to share...

On this first Sunday of Lent, here is an excerpt from  Julian of Norwich's Revelations of Divine Love. I haven't read this famous fourteenth-century book yet.

I found the passage in Incandescence, a collection of readings by women mystics, compiled by Carmen Acevedo Butcher, and it makes me want to read more. 

This is what Julian of Norwich writes:

God wants us to remember we are His children. Hurt, upset, or frightened children always run directly to their mother and fling their arms around her... God wants us to do just that. We are to act like the trusting, much-loved children that we are.

Even if it is our own fault we are hurting, God wants us to come to Him and say, "Mother,... I've really messed up. Please forgive me..."

If we don't feel better all at once, we should remember our Mother is wise. God may allow us to cry for a certain time... [But] remember that what God most wants is our trust, as child to mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment