Monday, March 25, 2019

Margaret's Confirmation Picture 1934

In my decluttering efforts, I meander here and there... organizing closets and cupboards for a few days - then moving on to the more detailed tasks of sorting letters and photograph albums.

I was recently looking through one of my mother's photo albums, when I came across this group photo - taken on March 25, 1934, when my mother was 15.

The occasion was her confirmation at St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Ellerslie, Alberta - a town near Edmonton. The officiating minister is Rev. R. Krisch.




My mother is the fourth young woman from the left in the middle row...

...in the middle, in this close up. As I look at her - age 15 - I see a family resemble to my cousins Rose-Marie and Rhonda, daughters of my mother's sisters, but not to me. I think my brother and I both resemble my father's family more.





On my last trip to Edmonton, in September, 2017, I walked around the St. Paul's church grounds. (Here is the blog post I wrote about it then. To read it, click or tap here.)















There have been several re-builds since my mother's family attended the church in the 1930's - and I kept wondering what the church looked like when my mother was young. Did they have the same red brick building then? At that time, many of the families - my mother's included - rode to church with a horse and buggy. What would the "parking lot" have looked like on a Sunday morning then?

 Hard to imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment