Saturday, December 30, 2017

My Favorite Books of 2017


One of the pleasures of the past year has been discovering new books and authors I've enjoyed reading. I highly recommend the following books, many of which can be found in a public library.

Bob Dylan's memoir, Chronicles, Part 1, looks back on life - from his perspective - in the decades when when I was in my teens and 20's. It was fascinating to see how much determination is needed to make a career in music. If Dylan ever adds to his chronicles in parts 2 or 3, I'd definitely like to read them, too.












I'm so glad I've discovered Norman Doidge's two books on the brain, The Brain that Changes Itself and The Brain's Way of Healing. When I'm finished reading my copies, I'm going to encourage everyone I know to read them. There are so many practical things to learn from these two very readable books on recent brain research discoveries, not only about new ways of dealing with medical problems like strokes, but also understanding habit formation and learning disabilities, to name a few.








I've discovered a few interesting Christian writers this year. Two of these books are in our public library, where I first borrowed them, but I decided I needed my personal copies.



I look forward to reading more books by these authors in the new year:

When I was a child, books were an important part of my life. They encouraged me to think about life beyond my little world and to reach for more. All these years later, books still expand my experience and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment