Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Urban Sketching

Just when I was thinking about signing up for a photography course, I came cross a new and (to me) a more exciting form of art: "urban sketching."















My renewed interest in art started with a drawing course I took last winter. It got me sketching again...














 I've been practicing on sea shells...














 ...and scenes from my window.














I've always wanted to draw buildings... interesting old ones... Which got me wondering if there was a drawing course in Paris... where they paint Parisian scenes... (Dreaming is always fun!)

I discovered a school that offers one-week cityscape courses... (Yes, that's what I've always wanted to do... Set up an easel and paint beside the Seine...)

But the course isn't cheap... And I don't know how to paint in watercolor...

Are there similar cityscape courses closer at hand? I wondered... and continued my google search...

Which is how I discovered the concept of "urban sketching"... and a blog dedicated to drawings done by artists in different urban settings...

Having visited Germany, I particularly liked the sketches of an American teacher living in Germany, whimsical drawings of the town where he lives...

So I'll probably look for a local watercolor course... and try sketching places closer to home. (There are lovely old buildings in Ottawa too!)

Urban sketching... I love the concept! It's a new, personal way of preserving memories!







No comments:

Post a Comment