Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Decision Fatigue

I recently came across the expression "decision fatigue" in Reader's Digest - and the term immediately caught my eye! Yes! I know the phenomenon well!

Apparently judges are prone to it - an Israeli study found that judges grant more parole requests earlier in the day than after making a few rulings...

I'm not a judge, but I can identify! My day isn't filled with important decisions - but whenever I set out to tidy the house and have to decide what to get rid of...


















... like this pile of magazines, it hits me all the time!

I can handle big decisions - like where to go on my next vacation... It's these little decisions that tire me out every time!

Searching online for the Reader's Digest article that introduced this concept to me, I came across another article on "decision fatigue." It, in turn, links to a New York Times article...

(There you have it - decision fatigue - a common malady experienced by housewives, judges... and probably referees and umpires as well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment