Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Early May Flowers


Spring arrived early - in March - in our part of Ontario... Then our weather turned cool again. More flowers than normal bloomed in early April... but growth slowed down when normal temperatures returned.














Some of the April flowers are still in bloom - like these hellebores...














One of my neighbors commented that these looked like hellebores too - but they're Canadian anemones. They just started blooming this week, and it looks like I'll have quite a few.


















The red tulips are still in bloom. I sprinkled them with red pepper to keep the squirrels away, and I only lost one! (I wonder what happened to the yellow and variegated ones I photographed last year...)














The white ones haven't really opened up yet.














My white "mystery" plant - the one I couldn't identify in early April turned out to be this white hyacinthe...














The ivy ground cover in the back yard is still in flower...














The tiny cheerful blue forget-me-nots have also just started to bloom...














The tulip tarda is also still blooming...

The biggest change in my early May garden is that the flowering fountain cherry no longer buzzes with bees. Its flowers are disappearing. But nearby the bleeding heart is in bloom...


















 It doesn't look as full and strong as it did last year! (Or in 2010, for that matter!) I wonder if the soil is becoming too acid from spreading pine branches overhead.)














This hardy lamium plant is blooming too... though blades of grass are growing in its midst! (Early spring brings weeding, too!)














Driving past a city park, I noticed these lovely white daffodils... and yellow dandelions. I don't have white daffodils...














I have a few yellow ones...

But it's dandelion season in our neighborhood, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment