Friday, May 11, 2012

Sketching Flowers Outdoors

My neighbor Mary (an avid gardener) thought I might enjoy the "nature journal" drawing class she was taking, so she invited me to come along. The instructor, Kerri Weller, is a former medical illustrator who now does botanical art. I was first introduced to some of her drawings at the botanical drawing exhibit Terry and I attended a few weeks ago.














The class met outdoors at the Fletcher Wildlife Garden, a garden run entirely by volunteers at the Central Experimental Farm.














After informing us that nature journals should include date, time, weather, location, as well as both the English and Latin names of the plant we were drawing, Kerri sent us out to find plants that looked interesting to draw. We were to study the plant for at least five minutes before beginning to draw it, noting its structure and height (with a ruler) and examining it closely with a magnifying glass.














One of the plants I studied and sketched was this tiny lake iris, an endangered species that grows around the Great Lakes.














Halfway through the morning, Kerry invited us into the building used by the volunteers for a coffee break.














We were able to see the native species they were propagating for their annual sale (which I don't want to miss on June 2). I would like to try growing another of the plants I sketched: pretty pink Prairie Smoke (also called Old Man's Whiskers)














After studying - then drawing three plants from various angles (45 to 60 minutes each!), I felt sure I would never forget any of them! But I'm glad I have the journal, just in case!

Looks more like a science class than an art class, Terry commented when I showed him my sketch book.

Actually, it's a little of both!








No comments:

Post a Comment