Friday, December 31, 2010

A Mother's Perspective

When I retired from teaching a few years ago, my then 89-year-old mother was visibly disappointed...

It makes me feel old to have a daughter who is retired, she tells me.

Well, I've taken early retirement, I remind her.

She's adjusted to my retirement now. But as my birthday looms, the birthday when the government deems me old enough to receive an "old age" pension, I ask my mother if she needs anything at the drug store. I'm planning to go there on "Seniors Day."

But you're not old enough to get a seniors' discount, she tells me indignantly, as though being a senior is a right only she can claim.

I want to laugh, but instead I say: You only have to be 55 to get it.

Should I be concerned? Or thankful?

Thankful that however old I get, there is one person who thinks I'm still young!

No comments:

Post a Comment