Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Favorite All-Season Flower

In Hawaii flowers grow all year long - but in Eastern Ontario where I live, there is only one outdoor flower that gives me year-long joy!

The lovely sedum plant...
It is rare that a flower can give year-long pleasure OUTDOORS here in our cold Canadian climate - but THIS ONE DOES.














Here it is in early spring - just before I cut down last year's beautiful red foliage to make way for new green leaves sprouting in the ground.














As it grows, it doesn't spread, but stays in a tidy green bundle...














... the knee-high green flowers front and center in my July garden bed.














In August, its flowers turn red...














When autumn arrives, it doesn't wilt away and disappear like most other flowers. Instead, it stands strong in its red glory! This is what it looked like this past November...

And now that winter is here, I appreciate my sedum most of all!














It is the only plant in my garden that still looks like a flower, "blooming" white snow "blossoms" in the snow!

It brings beauty every season of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment