Thursday, November 5, 2009

Quilted Jackets

Sorting through winter clothing, I came across two quilted jackets I made a few years back, plus one made by my mother.


















This sampler jacket was a challenge - just as much work as a regular quilt. I remember working on it for several years.


















The back looks exactly like the front, only it is one piece. I wore it a lot in the house on cool winter days.

Here is a quilted jacket my mother made.


















My mother's pattern is more fitted, so it looks more stylish. Made of scraps of blouses I remember from my teenage years, it was true to my mother's quilting philosophy - never buy new fabric for a quilt (unless absolutely necessary). The lining is an African print I bought and gave to her. She used it for years as a table cloth. Then when it started to wear through in a few spots, she cut it up and used it to line this scrappy jacket!


















Here's what it looks like in the back.


















And here is my least favorite jacket - a pink and blue log cabin. I didn't want to be bothered with closely fitting my quilted jackets (in part, because I didn't want to cut into my hard labor). So I chose the same boxy pattern I had used for the sampler jacket.


















It wasn't that stylish - but it was warm. I remember wearing it a lot, too.


















I was trying to remember why I stopped wearing these quilted tops...

It was when I discovered fleece! Now my closet is full of fleece tops in a multitude of colors, and the quilted jackets are souvenirs of an earlier time!

No comments:

Post a Comment