Sunday, November 1, 2009

Appreciating Flowers and Gardens

I never realized how many famous people have commented on flowers... (Have they perhaps been gardeners themselves?)

I was hunting for a certain "flower" quote by Abraham Lincoln, doing a google search - when I came across a number of web pages containing memorable gardening quotes...

I found the one I was looking for on myflowerhaven.com

  • All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind. (Abraham Lincoln)
I like that... it's what most teachers try to do every day...

On that same web page, I found several others that resonated with me:

  • I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. (Emma Goldman)
  • The earth laughs in flowers. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
  • Bloom where you are planted. (Mary Engelbreit)

On another website (Northern Gardening) I found a few that describe my feelings as I prepare my garden for winter:

  • ...who plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see a plant believes in God.
  • The man who has planted a garden feels that he has done something for the good of the world. (Vita Sackville-West)

And finally, as I watch the leaves fall and the plants wilt...














  • A garden is never so good as it will be next year. (Thomas Cooper)

No comments:

Post a Comment