Friday, November 27, 2009

Have a Little Faith

A new book has jumped to the top of my bedtime reading pile - Have a Little Faith, by Mitch Albom. It has all the criteria for good bedtime reading for me - short chapters, interesting characters, discussions about religious faith - plus the stories are true...














The book actually contains two parallel stories, one about a retired rabbi (whom Mitch had known as a child) and the other, a criminal from Detroit who becomes a Christian minister (I think... I haven't gotten to that part yet - but that's what the cover information leads me to believe.)

I'm at the point where Mitch Albom is reconnecting with the old rabbi, who has asked him to deliver his eulogy when he dies. Mitch agrees - but decides he has to get to know him a little better first.

There is a lot that interests me in the book - Judaism, Christianity, the question of how to live out one's religious faith...

When Albom questions the rabbi about his rituals (regular Sabbath worship, walking not driving to the synagogue, etc.) - after all, faith is conviction, and "Deep inside, you know your convictions." - the rabbi replies: "... faith is about doing. You are how you act, not just how you believe."

Yes, that's the hard part...

But it was also Albom's description of the rabbi's messy study that made me think: "The shelves were crammed with books and files. The desk was covered in letters and notes. There were open boxes everywhere, things he was reviewing or reorganizing or something."

Oh no, that's just like me!

The rabbi is trying to organize his files and papers in his retirement... And worse, over the course of the story, the study doesn't seem to get any better!...

Mmmmm. Perhaps I need to learn from this too...

No comments:

Post a Comment