Friday, November 20, 2009

Jersey Boys: A Missing Puzzle Piece

The Jersey Boys is an award-winning musical that recounts the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, a popular "boy band" of my teenage years. I enjoyed the show a lot, when I saw it recently in Washington, DC, partly because it was very well done - and partly because it reconnected me with a lot of the pop songs I had grown up with. I was astounded to discover how many of these songs I knew and loved had been written by a young man, Bob Gaudio (whom I had never heard of) - who was only 15 when he wrote his first hit!

Whatever happened to that talented song writer? I wondered. Talented people don't just disappear. The end of the story (as told on The Jersey Boys) - had him retreating with his wife to a peaceful (retirement?) life aboard his boat...

Did he just disappear into the sunset? Did he do anything else in his career? After all, the story in the musical ends when he is about 30...

Last night, while surfing the net, I discovered a youtube interview that in part answered my question. Yes, he went on to work with other famous singers... and in fact, it was he who put together this hit musical, The Jersey Boys!

For those who are interested, here is the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment